Who says that healthy food needs to be bland and boring? It’s time to change our minds and understand that it can actually be absolutely tasty.
Sardinian food is a great combination between delicious and healthy – so if you want your body and taste buds to be happy at the same time, you’re in the right place!
Healthy or unhealthy, that is the question
Since always, we have been told that healthy food is good for your body and that it helps you grow taller and stronger. Of course that’s true, but somehow we ended up thinking of “healthy food” as of something we don’t like and that we were forced to eat as children: steamed broccoli, fish or an apple instead of our beloved french fries, pizza and ice cream.
Even as adults, in our minds we often link healthy food to something boring and not satisfying. We see diet as a punishment, so we give up on unhealthy foods we like and start eating bland food thinking that the less tasty it is, the better for our health.
However, this couldn’t be more false! First of all, you shouldn’t consider healthy food as “diet food” as opposed to what you would usually eat if you were free to choose. On the contrary, you should be more conscious about food characteristics and start following a healthy diet every day. If you do that, you will understand how tasty healthy food can be – and you will never have to be on an unnecessarily boring diet anymore!
Simple rules for a healthy diet
Following a balanced diet is not as hard as it might sound, if you keep in mind some simple rules. When we talked about the Mediterranean Diet, we already tackled some of them, but let’s make the whole thing even simpler.
Which are the basic rules for a healthy diet?
- Eat 5 portions of fruits and vegetables every day – they must be fresh and seasonal: they’re packed with vitamins and mineral salts.
- As a source of carbs, prefer unrefined cereals over refined white flours – so you can indulge on brown rice, whole wheat pasta or bread.
- Get your proteins from wild caught fish, organic legumes, eggs, poultry, meat and dairy products – more or less in this order and remember to prefer grass fed meat and goat cheese or milk if possible.
- Use extra virgin olive oil as a seasoning – it’s rich in unsaturated fat and so good for your health!
- Cut down on sugar and sugary desserts – treat yourself to dark chocolate or nuts
Sardinian food: where healthy and tasty go hand in hand
20 years ago, Sardinia was categorized as a Blue Zone – a geographical area where people live longer and healthier than the average. Research showed that this is not just a matter of genes but it’s mainly due to lifestyle – and, as you know, food plays a big role in it.
So, as starters, if Sardinian people lead such long lives and have such a good quality of life, their local food can be considered definitely healthy. The second fact is that it’s extraordinarily tasty too!
If you’ve never been to Sardinia, just trust this list that proves how healthy food can also be absolutely delicious.
- Pane Carasau: a thin, toasted and crispy bread made of durum wheat. This kind of flour is healthier than refined white flour, because it’s rich in fibers, proteins, vitamins and mineral salts.
- Pane Guttiau: a variation of Pane Carasau, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil that, as we said, is rich in unsaturated healthy fat.
- Malloreddus and Fregola: they are two different kinds of Sardinian pasta, both made with durum wheat flour, which makes them rich in nutrients too.
- Sheep meat: high quality meat from grass fed sheep is an excellent source of proteins.
- Wild caught fish: no better place than an island to eat some fresh wild caught oily fish, which is rich in proteins and Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Dried mullet roe: it’s an authentic gourmet delicacy, but it also provides your body with lots of proteins, Omega-3 fat and mineral salts.
- Pecorino Sardo: this cheese, obtained from grass fed sheep milk, has a rich flavor and is loaded with proteins, vitamins and calcium.
- Cannonau: this wine contains 5 to 10 times more antioxidants compared to other red wines – drink a glass of Cannonau every day and you’ll live a longer and a happier life.
Did all this food talk make you drool?
We’re pretty much sure it did: healthy food can definitely be tasty, and Sardinian food is the proof!